What is Help to Claim?
Help to Claim is the Citizens Advice service supporting people to claim Universal Credit.
How does Help to Claim Work?
Help to Claim is part of the holistic approach to advice services provided by Citizens Advice
What do I need to Prepare?
To make a Universal Credit claim you will need the following:
- Information About You (your date of birth, your address and postcode)
- Email Address – If you don’t have an email address we will help you to set one up (you will need to create a password)
- Information About Your Household & Family (including dates of birth and employment status of your family members)
- Information About Childcare Costs if this applies to you. You will need to provide the name of the child care provider and their registration number as well as the exact costs paid. Please bring an invoice as this will have the information needed
- Information About Your Housing (the landlord’s name, address & phone number and the exact amount of rent paid or your monthly mortgage costs and any other relevant costs such as services charges)
- Information About Your Health or Ill Health or Period of Sickness Absence. You will need to provide information about a current sick certificate if you have one or you will need to give information about the health conditions you have.
- Information About Your Bank, Building Society or Post Office Account – your Universal Credit will be paid into this account. You will need the name of the account, the account number and sort code
- Information About Your Employment (your contracted hours, your monthly take home pay, a recent payslip)
- Information About Your Income (other benefits or other sources of income)
- Information About Your Savings
Check if you are ready using this guide from DWP:
How can I Access Help to Claim?
Help to Claim can be accessed Face to Face, by Telephone and Online via Web chat and Email.
If you would like to access the service by telephone the number is 0800 144 8444